Interesting Word - Roll

A survey carried out by linguistics researchers at Manchester University found there were 7 different words for a bread roll in the UK.

(In the South it was generally called a roll.

In the North a bap or a bun.

In the North-west a barm, or a muffin.

In the Midlands a cob.

In Yorkshire a tea cake!

Now I'll go along with roll or a cob, but to me a bap is a softer, more floury bread roll, a muffin is an American cake, a bun is sweet and hopefully full of cream, and a tea cake is full of dried fruit and has to be toasted and served with lots of butter.)